Isla Mujeres Underwater Museum of Art (MUSA)
If you like adventure and exploring!
In the waters of the Caribbean Sea of Isla Mujeres you will find incredible sculptures at a depth of 30 feet, a unique aquatic gallery in the world.
In the crystal clear waters you can snorkel and / or dive, in Galeria Manchones you will find most of them, the sculptures are at a depth of 8 meters, the sculptures are made with a special concrete that facilitate the creation of corals. This set of pieces brings together works by artists Jason de Caires Taylor, Karen Salinas, Rodrigo Quiñones and Salvador Quiroz, currently there are more than 500 sculptures submerged in the Caribbean Sea, some are found in:
- Punta Nizuc in Cancun, has a depth of 4 meters, so you can snorkel or visit it by boat with a glass bottom, diving is not allowed.
- Galleries Manchones in Isla Mujeres, has more than 450 sculptures at depth of 8.5 to meters, a recommended place for diving and snorkeling.
- Punta Sam Gallery in Cancun, has 2 sculptural sets at a depth of 3.5 meters only snorkeling is allowed.
To visit the works of the Underwater Museum (MUSA) you must do it with a diving or snorkeling equipment, there is also the option of the glass bottom boat.
If you choose to dive in Isla Mujeres, you must take or have previous diving lessons, during the tour basic diving equipment, an instructor, and supervised diving are provided. To carry out this activity, a good state of health is required.
Some of the underwater sculptural works that you will find are:
- “The Silent Evolution” made by acclaimed British artist Jason de Caires Taylor.
- “Antropoceno” (A full-scale VW Beetle)
- “Los banqueros”
- “Arrecifes urbanos”
- “El coleccionista de sueños”
- “Hombre en llamas”
It is common to observe sea turtles in the areas where the sculptures were placed and due to the proximity to the coral reefs they attract all kinds of living creatures, some of which were thought to be in danger of extinction.
Isla Mujeres is one of the best places to dive in Cancun.
Hotel Mia Reef for its location on the north beach is a very visited place to practice snorkeling safely, if you need to quote a few days of stay to know this paradisiacal destination, write us with pleasure we will advise you.